FERC issues favorable EA for Elba Island LNG export project

The U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has on Friday released a favorable environmental assessment for Kinder Morgan’s $2.1 billion Elba liquefaction and export project.

Kinder Morgan units Elba Liquefaction Company (ELC), Southern LNG Company (SLNG), and Elba Express Company (EEC) are planning to add natural gas liquefaction and exporting capabilities to SLNG’s existing Elba Island LNG terminal and abandon existing LNG truck loading facilities at the terminal in Chatham County, Georgia.

The three Kinder Morgan affiliates also propose to build and operate new and modified compression and metering facilities in Hart, Jefferson, and Effingham Counties, Georgia, and in Jasper County, South Carolina.

The project would enable SLNG to export approximately 2.5 million tons per annum of chilled gas via the existing LNG terminal on the Savannah River.

The environmental assessment (EA) assessed the potential environmental effects of the construction and operation of the  LNG project.

The FERC staff concludes that approval of the proposed project, with appropriate mitigating measures, would not constitute a major federal action significantly affecting the quality of the human environment,” stands in the environmental assessment.

Kinder Morgan and Shell reached an agreement in July 2015 for Kinder Morgan to purchase 100 percent of Shell’s equity interest in Elba Liquefaction Company.

Before the deal, Kinder Morgan owned 51 percent of the ELC joint venture and Shell owned the remaining 49 percent.

 

LNG World News Staff

 

Share this article

Follow LNG World News

Events>

<< Apr 2020 >>
MTWTFSS
30 31 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3

Flame 2020

Flame is Europe’s largest and most influential meeting place for the global gas industry.

read more >

4th PNG Petroleum & Energy Summit

The CWC Group, in partnership with Kumul Petroleum Holdings Ltd.

read more >

FSRU World Congress 2020

FSRU World Congress 2020 will therefore focus on further Commercialising FSRUs through LNG-to-Power…

read more >

CWC World LNG & Gas Series: 12th Asia Pacific Summit

The 2020 Summit will offer an unrivaled programme covering relevant and significant discussion topics…

read more >